Laughter Is, Indeed, The Best Medicine
There are few things in life that have all the benefits of laughter! Not only has it been shown to reduce the levels of certain stress hormones in the body, but it also increases health-enhancing hormones. You can also consider it a natural form of exercise, a preventer of cancer, and a blood pressure regulator. Added to that it increases blood oxygenation and improves memory! But wait! There’s more! How about it’s just plain fun!
Do you need more reasons to laugh? Laughter is contagious. It’s hard not to smile when someone smiles at you. The same is true with laughter. Therefore, a sense of humor is such an important trait when looking for a partner. Sharing a laugh with someone just feels good. It also fosters closeness which contributes to your sense of well-being.
How about combatting depression? Being unhappy or depressed can become a mindset or way of life but so can being happy and upbeat. Surrounding yourself with people who have a positive attitude and can laugh at themselves can help to elevate your mood.
Laughter has also been shown to relieve pain. People who are laughing don’t have less pain, but they do report being less bothered by the pain they’re experiencing. The amount of pain is the same, but the perceived pain level is reduced and the ability to cope increases.
So how do you get more laughter into your life? Here are a few suggestions:
- Watch a funny movie or television show. Read a funny book or attend a comedy show.
- Find a video of a baby laughing - you can’t not laugh when a baby is giggling!
- Lighten up! Remember that life is funny. Your ability to laugh at yourself makes you more attractive to others and can turn a bad day around.
- Make having fun a priority in your life.
- Remember that laughing with people is much more fun than laughing at people.
Is your sense of humor silly or sophisticated? Let me know what makes you laugh!