Just Be Nice - It’s Not That Hard!
There are few things in life that are easier, and reap more benefits, than being nice! A kind word or gesture can make a world of difference in someone’s day. Here are just a few ideas/suggestions on ways to be nice:
- Smile at everyone you meet (even the nasty person at the DMV). You have no idea what may be going on in someone else’s life and your smile might very well be the best thing that happens to them all day. Plus, it’s free!
- Help the senior citizen that you see who may be struggling to reach something in the supermarket or is having trouble lifting a heavy item.
- Pass along something good that you can recommend to someone who might be interested; a good book, movie, or restaurant.
- Keep your negative thoughts to yourself. You can’t help what you feel, but words of encouragement will bear more fruit than kicking someone when they’re down.
- Embrace all opportunities to pay someone a sincere compliment even if it’s something as simple as admiring their purse or tie.
- Speak to strangers (not the creepy ones, of course). A stranger is just a friend you haven’t met yet!
- Return the shopping cart to where it belongs. It only takes a few seconds and who couldn’t use the extra steps?
- Pick up that candy wrapper or empty water bottle that’s blowing down the sidewalk.
- The next time you’re grabbing a cup of coffee in the drive-through - foot the bill for the person behind you. It will make their day!
- Call up someone you haven’t spoken to in a while. Rekindling important relationships is good for the soul -yours and theirs!
As you can see, all ten of these things won’t cost you a dime and you’ll be a much richer person for having done them.