THE Best Lemon Pound Cake EVER!
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, plus 1T softened for greasing pan
- 1 1/2 C (6oz) cake flour, plus 1T for dusting pan
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 1/4 C sugar
- 2 T grated lemon zest plus 2 t. juice from about 2 med lemons (I love this made with Myer lemons)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 t. vanilla
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat to 350º
- Grease 9x5 inch loaf pan w/ 1T butter, dust with 1T flour, tapping out excess. In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In glass measuring cup, microwave butter until totally melted. Whisk melted butter to reincorporate any milk solids.
- In food processor, process sugar and zest until combined, about 5 seconds. Add lemon juice eggs and vanilla.
- Process until combined, 5 sec. With machine running, add melted butter through feed tube in steady stream.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Sift flour mixture over butter/egg mixture in 3 steps, whisking gently after each addition, until just combined.
- Pour batter in prepared pan and bake 15 minutes. (batter will look like pancake batter) Reduce oven to 325º and continue to bake until golden brown and skewer inserted in center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack and brush with lemon glaze.
- Brush this onto warm cake to give it a fresh sweet-tart lemon kick.
- 1/2 C. sugar
- 1/4 C. lemon juice
- While cake is cooling, bring sugar and lemon juice to a boil in small nonreactive saucepan, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened slightly about 2 minutes.