Oasis Senior Advisors understand the importance of reviewing costs and planning a budget for senior housing. Depending on your level of care, location and amenities, costs can increase quickly. Senior Advisors spend time learning about the various funding programs available to seniors to help offset the cost of moving into a senior living community. One of the very helpful but often unnoticed funding options is the U.S. VA Aid & Attendance and Housebound program.
This program is available to any veteran and survivor who is eligible for a VA pension and meets one or more of the following conditions:
Aid & Attendance
- You require the aid of another person in order to perform personal functions required in everyday living, such as bathing, feeding, dressing, attending to the wants of nature, adjusting prosthetic devices, or protecting yourself from the hazards of your daily environment
- You are bedridden, in that your disability or disabilities requires that you remain in bed apart from any prescribed course of convalescence or treatment
- You are a patient in a nursing home due to mental or physical incapacity
- Your eyesight is limited to a corrected 5/200 visual acuity or less in both eyes; or concentric contraction of the visual field to 5 degrees or less
- Substantially confined to your immediate premises because of permanent disability
If you meet one or more of the above you, can apply for an additional monthly sum to be added to your existing pension. To apply, write to your local Pension Management Center that serves your state or you can apply in person at your local regional benefit office. You will need to provide proof of your condition during the submission process. A report detailing your conditions from your attending physician is preferred.
Programs like these can provide the monetary assistance needed to secure quality senior housing. If you have questions about this program or would like to learn more about other potential programs you may qualify for, please call your local Oasis Senior Advisor. To find your closest advisor, visit our locations page.