Four Recipes for Spring
Now that the threat of cold and looks to be past (even in the northern climes), it’s a great time to add a little light into our meals with some spring recipes.
Strawberry and Balsamic Grilled Chicken Salad
A fresh spring strawberry salad with balsamic glazed grilled chicken, bacon, goat cheese and pecans dressed in a roasted strawberry balsamic vinaigrette.
- 1-pound chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups arugula
- 1-pint strawberries, sliced
- 4 strips bacon, crumbled
- 1/4 cup pecans or candied pecans
- 1/4 cup roasted strawberry balsamic vinaigrette or balsamic vinaigrette
- Place the chicken and balsamic vinaigrette in a large ziplock bag and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to overnight.
- Heat the grill or a grill pan over medium heat and brush it with oil.
- Place the chicken on the grill until cooked, about 2-4 minutes per side and set aside.
- Slice the chicken, assemble the salad and enjoy.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Chicken and Avocado Burritos
These burritos are stuffed with juicy chicken, cool and creamy avocado, melted cheese, spicy salsa verde and sour cream.
- 4 burrito-sized tortillas, warmed
- 1 pound cooked chicken, sliced or shredded
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Assemble the burritos, optionally toast and enjoy!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Spring Egg Drop
This one has spring written all over it!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 6 small spring onions, bulbs only, coarsely chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)3 medium spring garlic bulbs, 1-2 garlic scrapes, or 2 regular garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 pound asparagus, sliced on a diagonal 1/2-inch thick
- 1/4 pound sugar snap peas, sliced on a diagonal 1/4-inch thick
- 2/3 cup shelled fresh peas (from about 2/3 pound pods)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup torn fresh mint leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons (or more) fresh lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add carrots, spring onions and garlic and season with salt. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables are soft, 15-20 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Add asparagus, sugar snap peas and peas and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs in a small bowl with 1 tablespoon Parmesan, a pinch of salt and 1 tablespoon water.
- Reduce heat to low and stir basil and mint into soup. Drizzle in egg mixture in 4 or 5 spots around pot. Let stand for 1 minute so egg can set, then gently stir in 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice. Season soup with salt and more lemon juice, if desired. Serve soup topped with more Parmesan.
Spring Minestrone with Chicken Meatballs
Chop whatever vegetable you have in the fridge to make this soup.
- 6 ounces ground chicken (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 6 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan, divided, plus more for garnish
- 4 garlic cloves, 2 minced, 2 thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 large egg, whisked to blend
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, white and pale-green parts only, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 5 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 3/4 cup ditalini or small pasta
- 1 cup 1/2-inch rounds peeled carrots
- 1 cup (packed) baby spinach
- Chopped fresh basil
- Mix chicken, breadcrumbs, 3 Tbsp. Parmesan, 2 minced garlic cloves, chives, egg, 3/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper in a medium bowl. Form into 1/2-inch diameter meatballs (makes about 28).
- Heat oil in a small pot over medium heat. Cook meatballs until golden all over, about 3 minutes (they will finish cooking in soup). Transfer to a plate; set aside.
- Add leek to pot and cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add 2 thinly sliced garlic cloves; cook for 1 minute. Add broth and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Stir in pasta and carrots; simmer until pasta is almost al dente, about 8 minutes. Add meatballs; simmer until pasta is al dente, carrots are tender, and meatballs are cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add spinach and remaining 3 Tbsp. Parmesan; stir until spinach is wilted and Parmesan is melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with chopped basil and Parmesan.
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes