The holidays are the time families gather together, often times traveling from afar to visit aging parents. It’s likely been several months since quality time has been spent together. It seems, Mom and Dad aren’t the same as they were a few months ago during the last visit. Is it time to consider senior living? Here are 10 signs to consider:
- HOME MAINTENANCE – Take note of the tidiness, cleanliness of the home. These daily chores can become a big burden or forgotten by aging adults.
- UNPAID BILLS – Are billings being paid, sorted and filed? Bill paying tasks can require recollection and be daunting if information is missing.
- HYGIENE PRACTICES – Have they missed a few showers, lacking in good grooming or hygiene habits? Are they safe showering or shaving alone?
- SIGNS OF WEIGHT LOSS – Weight reduction can mean a number of things but check to see if they are eating enough and getting proper nutrition.
- SAFETY IS AN ISSUE – Evaluate the home for any potential safety concerns – such as the stairs or accidents from dangerous household items.
- LOSS OF MEMORY – Repeated conversations and forgetting important dates like appointments or birthdays can be a red flag.
- DEMEANOR – Notice emotion states or unexpected changes throughout the day. Are they disappointed, irritated or sad at times?
- WANDERING – If wandering gets to the point he or she becomes confused or lost, then it becomes a safety issue.
- COMPANIONSHIP – Social activity is important. Are they eager to leave the house, stay in touch with friends, attend church or social functions?
- CAREGIVER NEEDS HELP – Caretaking duties are hard on an already hectic life. Working caregivers need to think through realistic commitments. Areas of decline for a working caregiver are career and /or health. Providing for seniors is a priority but caring for your own life is important as well.
The search for best-care options can be overwhelming. If you need help figuring out which senior living community is the right fit for your needs, please contact us at 385-422-2500. We’d be happy to help you with finding the perfect senior living solution for you in assisted living or memory care.